Skip to main content

Full text of "The Andrus bindery : a history of the shop, 1831-1839"

See other formats












handle this volume 

with care. 

The University of Connecticut 
Libraries, Storrs 

«» " » ■» » ■»■■» «■ » » » 


oj^cP 1 




3 ^153 0D0M2TEM 3 

Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 

The Andrus 

The Andrus 



Hartford, Connecticut : 1940 






1 '977 ¥-£3 

(The illustration on the title page is reproduced 
from a woodcut by Jost Ammann, done in 1568) 


A NUMBER of years ago a dealer brought 
me a small bound book tided "The Club 
Book." The contents are written in pen 
and ink and are a series of amateur literary efforts. 
There are miscellaneous essays and poems of little 
merit but the one point of interest is "The History 
of the Shop" which runs through the book in 

The book was the production of a group of 
employees of the Silas Andrus bindery which was 
located first on Trumbull Street and then on Kinsley 
Street, in the early 1800's. The firm was variously 
known as S. Andrus, S. Andrus & Son, Andrus & 
Judd, and Andrus, Judd & Franklin. They are known 
principally as bookbinders but were printers and 
publishers as well. Their product was edition books 
rather than commercial printing. 

This history gives an unusual picture of life in a 
bindery of one hundred years ago as it appeared to 
the younger employees. Edward Thomas Day, 
mentioned in Chapter II as a new apprentice, later 
became foreman of the edition bindery of Case, 
Lockwood & Company where he worked until his 
death. His son, Charles W. Day, learned his trade in 

this latter bindery and he, too, worked there until 
he died. Charles Day presented to The Case, Lock- 
wood & Brainard Company his father's apprentice- 
ship papers which are printed at the end of the his- 
tory. It is interesting to note that they are dated 
February 23, 1832, while the history says that he 
came to work on June 20, 1831. Probably he served 
a few months as errand boy before being formally 

This history has been printed in installments in 
the trade magazine "Bookbinding." 

Newton C. Brainard. 
September 1, 1940. 

History of the Shop 

History of the Shop 


As a description of the shop in which the con- 
tributors to the "Club Book" belong was thought 
by some to be desirable in order that the events that 
have transpired for some years back may not be 
forgotten, I have undertaken the task of giving a 
general history of the events as they have transpired 
since the beginning of June 183 1. What transpired 
previous to that time not being in our power to give 
correctly. In collecting the different facts of this 
history I shall have the assistance of those who are 
acquainted with the affairs of the shop so that 
nothing of importance will be passed over. 

Chapter ist. 

THIS history is commenced from June ist, 
1 83 1. At that time the shop was owned 
solely by Mr. Silas Andrus. The building 
in which the shop then was, was situated on the 
west side of Trumbull St. a few yards north of 
Church Street. It was built of brick and two stories 
high. The first floor of the building was occupied 
as the bindery, there being two rooms, the front 
one occupied by the forwarders, and the other by 
the finishers. The room above the forwarders was 
used as a printing room, the one over the finishers 
as a book-room or store. The building next north 
was the dwelling of Mr. Andrus in the third story 
of which was the girls' room, being connected with 
the book-room by a bridge. Having given a general 
outline of the premises, we will now proceed to 
speak of 

Those valiant knights of paste and glue, 

Who in this place their work did do. 

The foreman at that time was Walter Reynolds, 

a clever, good natured fellow, who obtained his 

knowledge of binding at this shop. Those who were 

employed in the finishing department at that time 


were Silas Wright from the town of Windsor, 
Charles W. Sellew from Glastenbury, Bathuel 
Church McKillip from the state of New York, and 
Henry Hills from the town of East Hartford. The 
forwarders were Orson Sweetland and Henry Wads- 
worth of Hartford, William Hurlbert of Wethers- 
field, John H. Adams of Andover, Ct., and James 
H. Sellew of Glastenbury. John Murphy and Arba 
Lankton, persons to do the chores. 


Chapter 2nd. 

N THE 13th of June 1831 Henry Wads- 
worth left the shop on account of some 
difficulty between him and Mr. Andrus and 
on the 20th of June Edward Thomas Day of Hart- 
ford made his appearance as an apprentice. On the 
Monday following the New Hartford stage drove 
up to the door remarkably sagged down on one side 
and landed Horace Eli Goodwin who immediately 
entered into a Co-Fartnership with E. T. Day for 
the purpose of performing the duties of youngest 
apprentices. About a fortnight after this a journey- 
man by the name of Townsend was employed and 
Mr. Reynolds leaving soon after, he took his place 
as foreman of the shop. About this time Silas Wright 
came into possession of what "Old Silas" used to 
say was worth $1000, or in other words the time of 
his apprenticeship expired and he was launched into 
the world to shift for himself. He was employed as 
a finisher two or three months, during which time 
two young men came to learn the trade, viz. — 
George Reynolds from East Hartford and Julius D. 
Bartlett of Hartford. Charles Sellew's apprentice- 
ship expired about this time and he left the shop 


and a journeyman was employed by the name of 
Washington George who stopped with us about two 
months. In the course of a few months after this 
there came to learn the trade James Pratt from 
Rochester, New York, Daniel Moore of Hartford, 
and Charles L. Smith then from Granville, Massa- 
chusetts, but who belonged in Hartford. There came 
also Mr. Luther Bartlett a mason who came to learn 
the art and mystery of gilding edges, some of the 
boys did not like this movement, particularly 
William Hurlburt who refused to cut books for him 
to gild and was on that account discharged. 

Soon after this B. C. McKillip's term of bondage 
expired and he became a full grown journeyman 
bookbinder. He was employed in the shop and we 
shall have occasion to speak of him hereafter. At 
this time Albert Miller Fish came to learn that part 
of the mystery of book-binding called finishing. 
Soon after this Orsen Sweetland who it seems was 
not the steadiest boy that ever was, came running 
home one night about 12 o'clock chased by a gang 
of negroes whom he had managed to get into a 
"muss" with, one of them had a sword with which 
he cut Orsen's hat in two. He was very much 
frightened and finding the door locked, he climbed 
upon a frame which had been built over it for a 
hop vine to run on, and got into the chamber win- 
dow, and thus escaped his pursuers, but the work- 


men thinking that he by his conduct rather dis- 
graced the shop, drew up a petition which was 
signed by all of them and presented it to Mr. Andrus 
begging that he might be discharged. Mr. Andrus 
in compliance with their wishes "turned him up". 


Chapter jd. 

THE first of August 1832 Mr. Andrus took 
into partnership }. W. Judd, a young man 
who had been employed in the book-store 
of Messrs. Robinson & Co. of this city, but who 
belonged in Northampton, Massachusetts. 

Mr. B. C. McKillip was appointed foreman. Soon 
after this, Mr. John Edgland, an Englishman, was 
employed as a journeyman forwarder. 

On the first of October 1832 Hiram Faxon of 
Hartford was received as an apprentice, also about 
the 1st of November Charles Parsons of Hartford, 
who continued with us until the summer of 1834 
when for going to see a caravan of wild beasts, con- 
trary to the foreman's orders, he was discharged. 
In the spring of 1832 Henry Hills' apprenticeship 
expired and he left the shop. Soon after James B. 
Goodwin of Hartford came to learn the trade, and 
there was a journeyman employed by the name of 
Gregory who after about two months, getting into 
difficulty with the foreman, was discharged. About 
this time Mr. James Birdseye was employed as a 
journeyman finisher and Dodridge Web came to 
learn the mysteries of the glair bowls and polisher. 


He continued with us until the summer of 1834 
when on account of some difficulty he left. In May 
1833 the bindery was moved from Trumbull Street 
into a building in Kingsly Street erected by Mr. 
Andrus for the purpose. It is 5 stories high and 
built of brick. It was intended that the floors of 
each story should be water tight so that in case of a 
fire the floors could be flooded with water and the 
building saved, and in order to carry out this plan 
three large wooden cisterns were put up, one in the 
lower story, one in the 2d and the other in the 3d. 
On one Saturday night a very heavy rain fell and it 
so happened that a considerable quantity of the 
water which run into the cisterns by the spouts, 
run out through the cracks and worm holes, par- 
ticularly of those in the 2d and 3d stories, and the 
floors not proving water tight the building was in 
danger of being very much injured. It therefore be- 
came necessary that the cistern should be emptied. 
Accordingly the foreman and two or three of the 
boys busied themselves about half of the Sabbath 
day in throwing the water out of the east doors. 
The two cisterns were soon after taken down. 
The finishing room was at first in the lower story 
in a dark, damp room partly underground and on 
the night of this shower the water run in through 
the windows and spoiled a number of books and 
some other things. The boys who were dissatisfied 


with the room before, determined upon this that 
they would work in it no longer. Accordingly they 
informed the foreman of their determination, threw 
by their work, and ranged themselves in a row upon 
the workbenches, and set there the greater part of 
the day. The next day they moved their goods and 
chattels up two pair of stairs into the room which 
was then and is now occupied by the forwarders. 

It ought to have been mentioned before, that 
during the time they were moving, it being Election 
week, Jim Sellew and Dr. Bartlett had gone to New 
York without asking leave of Mr. Judd which net- 
tled him very much. He talked hard of advertising 
them as run-aways, and would if they had not 
returned the day before the paper was to have been 
issued. As it was he threatened to "turn them up", 
but when Jim expressed his willingness to go and 
asked for his indentures, he refused to give them 
up but told him he might go to work. 

We will now notice another incident which ought 
to have been spoken of before. In order to put up a 
very heavy press in the girl's room the rope from 
the fall at the east end of the garret was passed 
through the 4th story door and hitched to the press 
which was in the west room, and while all hands 
were pulling at it some of the boards connected with 
the fall gave way and nearly all of the east end of 
the garret tumbled out. The bricks fell with a tre- 


mendous crash upon a little shed beneath to the no 
small consternation of a sober, industrious mule 
who was working under it. 

Between the months of May 1833 and December 
1834 there came several young lads to learn the 
trade who stayed but a short time. The precise time 
at which they came or went is not known. We will, 
therefore, notice them here in order that they may 
not interrupt the narrative by being brought in here- 
after. The first was John Collins from Middletown. 
He stayed but two or three months and left on 
account of some difficulty with the foreman. The 
next was Jabez D. Belden from Granville, Massachu- 
setts sometimes called "scrubby oak". He stayed 
about 3 months when on account of some miscon- 
duct Mr. Judd locked him up in the safe in the store. 
Soon after his release he started for Granville in a 
snowstorm. The next was William Baker from 
Westhampton whose back was so weak that he did 
not like to bring water. He stayed about a week, got 
home-sick and vanished. The next was Frank Tudor 
from East Hartford, a little fellow with a long head. 
A barbarous attempt was made by two of the boys 
to grind off the back part of his head but instead of 
grinding off his head by accident they scraped some 
of the skin off his legs. He stayed only about 2 
months. Another was Andrew Adams whom Mr. 
Judd brought from Philadelphia. He was a little 


fellow but a real pirate, he would lie, steal, get 
drunk and fight Mr. Judd. He was sent home. 
We will now return from this digression to June 
1833. A. & J. required and endeavored to make the 
boys work from sunrise to sunset in the summer 
season. This the boys thought was more than they 
ought to require and animated by that feeling of 
independence which induced our forefathers to 
throw off the yoke of oppression they held a meet- 
ing one evening about the middle of June, in a 
chamber at Mr. Judd's house, and after several 
spirited addresses a preamble and several resolutions 
were unanimously adopted. We are sorry that cir- 
cumstances have rendered it impossible for us to 
obtain a copy of them. The Preamble went into a 
minute detail of our grievances and the substance 
of the resolutions were that we bound ourselves not 
to work more than eleven hours a day, for a day's 
work, under a penalty of one dollar. The resolutions 
were signed by all of the apprentices. 


Chapter 4 th. 

BOUT the 24th-5th of June James Pratt got 
into a jam with Mr. Birdseye, who 
attempted to take him downstairs to Mr. 
Judd. He had got him as far as the head of the 
stairs w T hen Horace E. Goodwin advanced to the 
rescue. While they were scuffling Mr. Judd came 
up and after being informed of the circumstances 
of the case, he ordered them to go to work, while 
he, assisted by N. Burr, stood by and kept them at 
it until 7 o'clock, at the same time telling the fore- 
man if any of them ever refused to mind him to 
knock them down with the iron bar. 

This was on a Saturday afternoon and Jim Sellew 
and Dr. Bartlett had gone out in the country after 
cherries. A day or two after this Mr. Judd went to 
Boston. While he was gone the hour system was 
contrived. I ought to have mentioned that Mr. Judd 
before he went away told Mr. Andrus that if the 
boys would not mind he had better put them in jail. 
The hour system was contrived by Mr. Andrus and 
Jim Sellew. The plan was to have them work it 
hours a day for the Firm and to be paid 6 cents an 
hour for all they worked over that. It went into 


operation on the ist of July and continued six 
months, at the end of which it was settled, and 
they went on with another term of three months. 
It ought to have been stated before that about the 
ist of September, 1832, a journeyman was employed 
by the name of Wolcott Barnard and in November 
1833 Mr. John Barnard was employed as a journey- 
man forwarder. 

Some time in December 1833 Elijah Knox of 
Hartford came to learn the trade. He was somewhat 
of an odd child and many things might be said of 
him that would not be proper to record in this His- 
tory. He continued with us until March 1834 when 
he was discharged. 

Some time in the summer of 1833 J- H. Sellew 
who had been long troubled with a fever-sore on 
his arm, and who had been under the care of the 
celebrated Dr. Remington without being particularly 
benefited thereby, concluded to stop work and see 
what effect getting subscribers would have upon it. 
He obtained permission of Mr. Judd and set out 
accompanied by Mr. Luther Bartlett. They visited 
the cities of New York and Philadelphia and then 
started for the interior of York state. At the village 
of Batavia Jim scraped acquaintance with Mr. Car- 
penter, a jolly drunken sort of a fellow, with whom 
he passed the time very agreeably drinking and 

2 4 

talking about "Hartford convention federalists, anti- 
masing, etc." 

One incident which occurred during their travels 
I think worth recording. They had not very good 
luck in getting subscribers and Jim getting sep- 
arated from Mr. Bartlett and being destitute of 
money applied to the keeper of a sawmill for work 
who pitied his condition and hired him for the day 
to carry logs into the mill for which he was to give 
him one dollar. It so happened that Mr. Bartlett 
passing by espied him tugging at the logs. Jim, 
rather mortified at being caught at it by him, rolled 
up his eyes and grinned in his peculiar way but 
persevered to the end and received his dollar. They 
soon after returned to Hartford where Jim was 
contented to work until his apprenticeship expired 
which was on the 9th of June 1835 when he left 
the shop. 

On the 15th of December 1833, John Adams' 
apprenticeship expired and he left the shop. About 
a fortnight previous a premium of fifteen dollars 
was awarded to him for his good behavior, minding 
his own business, etc., during the term of six months 
previous, and another of ten dollars was awarded to 
C. L. Smith and another of five dollars to G. 
Reynolds for the same reasons. 


Chapter $th. 

N THE 8th of December 1833 William M. 
Stanley of East Hartford came to learn 
the trade and almost immediately was 
invited by Mr. Birdseye, the foreman, up into the 
4th story where he received an introductory lecture. 
He was informed in the course of it that there was 
two classes of boys in the shop, one good and the 
other bad, or in other words one flock of sheep and 
another of goats. He was advised to mingle with and 
follow the example of the sheep, but admonished 
to beware of the goats, to hold no intercourse with 
them whatever, particularly with two of them, viz., 
Jim Sellew and Dr. Bartlett who were represented 
to him as the vilest of the vile. In the course of a 
day or two he informed the boys of the instructions 
he had received. 

This made the Doctor and Jim mad and they 
determined to call the foreman to account for it. 
Accordingly they accused him of slandering them, 
which he denied. Mr. Stanley was called to witness 
to the truth of what he had before stated which he 
did. They then gave the foreman some good advise, 
altho in no very gentle manner, also a decent damn- 


ing which made his eyes stick out, as some said, 
enough to hang their hats on. 

On the 25th of December Harvey Stocking came 
to learn the trade. This was a time of great religious 
excitement, meetings for prayer and exhortation 
were held every afternoon in the 4th story where the 
girls and boys formed themselves into a hollow 
square excepting a few who chose to recline on 
heaps of sheep skin in different parts of the room, 
and with open mouths eagerly swallowed the 
crumbs of salvation which fell from the lips of those 
stewards of divine grace, Avery and Dutton and 
some others who happened in occasionally. Those of 
the boys who had before made profession of their 
faith but who had slumbered at their posts now 
shook off their drowsiness and might be seen at all 
times endeavoring to awake their fellow apprentices 
to a sense of their wretchedness and begging pardon 
for their former inattention to the interests of their 
souls, solemnly pledging themselves to be faithful 
in future and cease not to warn them of their danger 
until they should cease to roll sin as a sweet morsel 
under their tongues, renounce the Devil and his 
works and become humble followers of the 
redeemer. More than this at one of their meetings 
both apprentices, journeymen and employers pub- 
licly, with tears rolling down their cheeks, pledged 
themselves to renewed efforts in the cause. One sen- 

2 7 

tence of Mr. Judd's upon that occasion I think proper 
to record in this place. After acknowledging his 
former inattention to the immortal interests of his 
SERVANTS, as he was pleased to call them, and 
pledging himself to pursue a different course in the 
future, he said "he hoped to meet them all in that 
kingdom where there would be no such terms of 
distinction as MASTER and SERVANT." 

Several of the boys and girls and two of the jour- 
neymen were led by the influences of the spirit to 
forsake their sins and the 4th story was made to 
resound with the thanksgiving and songs of the 
redeemed. But there were some who yet refused to 
bow the knee. Among them the most prominent 
was Dr. and Jim. They, when Avery or Dutton in 
prayer dwelt with peculiar emphasis on their case 
and entreated that "the arrows of conviction might 
be fastened in their hearts", responded a loud and 
hearty amen. They had considerable conversation 
with Mr. Avery upon religious subjects upon which 
they could not agree at all. 

One afternoon as Avery was exhorting them to 
forsake their sins, he made some illusion to Jim who 
sat directly in front of him, upon which Jim took 
an enormous cud of tobacco from his mouth and 
threw at him. It passed close by his cheek and fell 
harmless on the floor, "what a fall was there, my 


Mr. Birdseye delivered a sermon one afternoon 
which he probably considered vastly edifying to his 

It was during these meetings that one of the girls, 
Miss Clarasa Marble was discharged by Mr. Andrus 
because she would not stop attending meetings at 
the Universalist Church and because she preferred 
attending to her work to spending an hour or half 
hour every day in attending those meetings. There 
was considerable notice taken of this step in the 
Universalist paper published at that time. After a 
few weeks, "Old Silas", seeing that there was no 
hope of converting many more souls, and perhaps 
thinking that it would be more profitable for him 
to keep the boys at work than in attending meet- 
ings, had them discontinued. 

Mr. Birdseye, the foreman, was a man who liked 
to tell great stories about himself and what great 
things he had done. He used to say that he had been 
to hell and spoke to the Devil, that he had jumped 
over the cupola of St. Paul's Church, London, that 
he had bound folios in vellum for the King of 
France, etc. Take him at his word and he had done 
more wonderful deeds than any other man living. 
Talk about fighting and he would tell you that, "he 
had seen blood in Ireland". We shall give a further 
and more particular account of him in the next 


Chapter 6 th. 

MR. BIRDSEYE whenever the boys were 
huddled together talking would step up 
to them and say, "Come a now jents, be 
getting on with your work". If they went up garret 
he would follow them up and endeavor to drive 
them down with a piece of rope yarn which he kept 
for the purpose. One day when he had gone to din- 
ner the boys took an old pair of pantaloons and 
stuffed them with shavings, put an old coat and cap 
which he used to wear in the shop on it, and placed 
it on a stool before his desk with the keys of the 
shop hanging out of one pocket. This did not set 
very well upon his stomach but as he could not find 
out who stuffed it all he could do was to roll his eyes 
and hope for better days. He had, during his fore- 
manship, a number of little jams with the boys 
which it is unnecessary to describe. 

In the latter part of February 1834 by some means 
which have never been satisfactorily explained, all 
the color in the bowls was spoilt. Take what pains 
you would it was impossible to color a set of books 
decent. Some thought the fault was in the acid with 
which it was set, others in the color, but finally they 


all came to the conclusion that someone had 
maliciously and secretly put something into either 
the acid or the color which had produced these 
miraculous effects. Who was it? Who could it be? 
Suspicion was strongly fixed on the foreman but 
what object could he have in spoiling the color, and 
what right had they to suspect him? He pretended 
to be an honest upright man and was besides a 
member of the Free Church. 

Dr. Bartlett determined to do what he could 
towards clearing up the mystery. Accordingly he 
commenced killing a new bottle of acid. In the 
course of the operation he showed a piece of block 
tin which he said Mr. Birdseye had given him to kill 
it with, but instead of putting it into the bottle he 
put a little acid into a bowl which he killed with 
that tin. Upon examination a white precipitate was 
found at the bottom and the acid entirely spoilt. 
The consequence was that suspicion was fixed 
stronger than ever upon the foreman, but it was 
never actually proved that he was the rogue. A 
week or two after this he was discharged, some 
thought on account of this scrape. 

After this, there being no foreman for about six 
months, Mr. Judd gave out the work and saw that 
things were in order in the shop. In this period and 
about the ist of May Edward Gaylord from East 
Windsor came to learn the trade and on the 5th of 

3 1 

July Albert M. Fish's apprenticeship expired and he 
was employed as a journeyman. 

On the 27th of September J. D. Bartlett's appren- 
ticeship expired and on the 1st of October he became 
foreman of the shop. He was a smart and very enter- 
prising young man and did a great deal towards 
putting things in order about the shop. 

The boys had long been endeavoring to obtain 
over work but Mr. Andrus was decidedly opposed 
to it and would not consent to give it to them 
because he thought it would be the ruin of them. 
Mr. Barlett, however, prevailed upon Mr. Judd to 
try the experiment for three months, providing as 
he said, if it was any loss to the Firm it should be 
deducted from his wages. Accordingly the stents 
were set according to the age of the apprentices with 
permission to earn from one dollar to one and a 
half over a week according to the stents. They all, 
excepting one C. L. Smith, took hold of it eagerly 
and worked almost a week when they all stopped 
and declared that the stents were too hard and they 
would work at it no longer. It was unreasonably but 
strongly suspected by Mr. Judd and the foreman that 
John Edgland had by talking with the boys brought 
about this movement. He was a little Englishman 
with a very fiery temper and easily excited. When 
he was called down by Mr. Judd to inquire into the 
matter upon the first question asked he became so 

3 2 

excited that he tore ofl: his apron and told Mr. Judd 
to settle his account and he would go. Mr. Judd told 
him to go if he wanted to. He immediately came 
upstairs and sung out to the boys to give three cheers 
for he was going. Mr. Judd followed him up and 
ordered him to leave the shop, which he did as 
soon as he could conveniently. 

A few days after this the foreman represented 
that he had endeavored to get the stents lowered but 
without success, but those who wanted over work 
might go on with the same stents and earn as much 
as they could over. All excepting E. T. Day and H. 
Faxon took hold and worked at it the three months. 
That was the beginning of that system of over work 
which has continued with little intermission up to 
the present time. 

Some time in the spring of 1834 Mr. Wolcott 
Barnard left the shop. About the 1st of October 1834 
Mr. George Dickenson was employed as a journey- 
man forwarder, and about the 1st of November 
Newton Haines from Lebanon came to learn the 
trade. Also on the 10 of March 1835 came Leicester 
Lewis from Suffield and on the December following 
Mr. Bartlett the foreman left the shop. He had not 
been gone more than two hours before an action or 
fight commenced such as I venture to say was never 
before seen in this shop. The limits of this work will 
not admit of a minute description of it and if it 

would I feel myself inadequate to the task. There 
was some little noise in the shop when Mr. Judd, 
hearing it, came up and accused Charles L. Smith 
who was standing by the furnace of making it. This 
made Charles, who was rather quick tempered, mad 
and he denied it in a manner which did not suit 
Judd and they got into quite a hot dispute about it 
and finally came to blows. They knocked each other, 
scratched and pulled hair. Judd called out to Dick- 
enson to come and help him, to come and take the 
rascal off, as he called him. Dickenson started to do 
as he was bid but was met by a couple of doubled up 
fists which scared him back to his work. Again Mr. 
Judd called him, again he started to help him, but 
the boys were determined to see fair play and again 
they kept him off. Charles, in the meantime, had 
jammed Judd against the windlass and against the 
work-bench, and in the scuffle had got him close 
to the head of the book-room stairs and might have 
pushed him down them if he had tried to. He then 
laid him with his back on the cutting table. He 
squirmed off from that and they scuffled along into 
the cast room where they separated. The boys fol- 
lowed them around all the time to see fair play. 
Mr. Judd had his coat torn and Charles his shirt 
and the remainder of the afternoon they spent in 
jawing. Charles did not work for about three weeks 
after this, when Mr. Judd having got over his mad 


fit prevailed upon him to come back again. This 
ended that scrape. 


Chapter yth. 

BOUT the first of January 1836 the publica- 
tion of the Hornet commenced. This was 
a weekly paper of an octavo size contain- 
ing eight pages. Many of the boys contributed to its 
columns which were open for the discussion of any 
and all subjects. No great attention was paid to style 
or delicacy of expression. It flourished and was the 
Lion of the day for thirteen weeks when it was 

Some time in the early part of February Mr. John 
Dobie became foreman of the shop. On the 27th of 
February Edward P. Allen from Enfield came to 
learn the trade. On the 10 of March George Reynolds' 
apprenticeship expired and he left the shop. About 
the first of April Mr. Dobie resigned the foreman- 
ship in favour of Mr. David Marshall from Ver- 
mont and went to work on the bench. On the 3 
of May James Pratt, an apprentice, left the shop 
in order to visit his parents and friends in York 
state and has not yet returned. On the 5th of July 
Mr. Harris Olcott was employed as a journeyman 
and on the 30th Horace E. Goodwin's apprentice- 
ship expired and he left the shop. Some time in 


September Leonadas R. Parsons from Enfield came 
to learn the trade and in November Edwin Pitkin 
from East Hartford was received as an apprentice. 
In the latter part of November Mr. Charles Board- 
man, also about the first of December, J. D. Bartlett 
were employed as journeymen. On the 7 of Decem- 
ber David Skaats from Wethersfield came to learn 
the trade. He was rather a singular child and many 
anecdotes might be told concerning him, but we 
shall mention but one or two of them. (The par- 
ticulars of his history you will find in the Wasp and 
Dragon, two papers published in the shop at that 
time.) One day the boys were amusing themselves 
by jumping over stools. David jumped but he could 
not keep his legs together. They would part and one 
go each side of the stool. Someone proposed that he 
should tie his legs together. Accordingly he tied 
them with his handkerchief and proceeded to jump 
with the full expectation that he would clear it that 
time but horrible to tell he only jumped high enough 
to have the handkerchief catch on the top of the 
stool which tumbled over and laid him sprawling on 
the floor. He used occasionally to get upon the cross- 
bar of the stamping press to swing. One afternoon 
they prevailed on him to mount the press and while 
one of them swung him the others managed to tie 
his legs together with some strong cord. They then 
swung him swiftly to and fro while he endeavored 


to untie his legs, to the great amusement of the 
bystanders. Finally by squirming and kicking he 
loosed the cords and jumped off but we never could 
get him to ride the press again. He continued with 
us until the 7th of December when he was 

At this time there appeared to be a general dis- 
satisfaction in regard to the proceedings of the fore- 
man. There had been little rows occasionally, result- 
ing from blacked faces, torn shirt, beer or something 
else and he was found one noon in effigy sitting on 
a stool before the shears with spectacles on reading 
a newspaper. A number of the boys underwent an 
examination before Mr. Judd with intent to dis- 
cover who stuffed it but no one appeared to know 
anything about it. The foreman had endeavored to 
introduce a new order of things into the shop to 
stop talking, whistling, etc., but without success. 
The workmen worked evenings at this time and he 
would sometimes wet out the fire when they were 
using it without saying anything to them about it. 
It so happened that on the evening of the 15th of 
December H. Faxon and E. T. Day wished to work 
until 9 o'clock. About seven minutes before the fore- 
man took the water-pot and began to wet out the 
fire. H. Faxon stepped up and told him he wished to 
use it a few moments longer. He did not mind 
anything about it but continued to wet it out. Hiram 


then pushed the water-pot away and told him that 
it was not 9 o'clock and he should have another heat 
upon his roll. He then attempted to strike and again 
put the fire out. Hiram then twitched the water-pot 
out of his hand and when he attempted to take it 
again raised his roll as if he was about to strike him 
on the head and Stocking stepped up at that time 
and gave him a tap on the shoulder with his fist. 
This scared him a little and says he, "I shan't fight 
with you, Faxon". Hiram then put his roll on the 
furnace and put on some coal. He snatched up the 
roll and ran with it downstairs. C. L. Smith threw 
a bunch of books and a sieve down after him. The 
next day Hiram and Charles underwent an exam- 
ination before Mr. Judd. Charles got into a jaw with 
him and he ordered Michael, the Irishman who did 
chores, to put him out the door which he did. Charles 
immediately came up into the shop in a great rage. 
Mr. Judd came up and ordered him to leave the 
shop by saying, "Get out, scoundrel, etc." Charles in 
going out told Judd to kiss, etc. This was the end of 
that scrape. 

In January Dr. Bartlett was discharged for what 
reason we know not but he saw fit to give the fore- 
man a blessing before he went. Some time in March 
Harris Olcott left the shop. About the middle of 
April Newton Hains departed without liberty in- 
tending to go to sea. Mr. Judd advertised him as a 


runaway and offered 10 mills reward and went to 
New York in pursuit of him. He grabbed him just 
as he was going on board a vessel and started to 
bring him back with him but when the boat stopped 
at Middletown he managed to escape and went home 
to his father's, a few days after his father having 
settled the affair with Mr. Judd and he came back to 
work, but he was not treated very well and on 
Election day he ran away again and has not been 
heard of since. 

On the 13th of May Mr. Dobie, Fish, Barnard and 
Dickenson were discharged. This was the season 
when everyone was crying "hard times." Business of 
all kinds was curtailed and a great many failures 
took place in all parts of the country. About three 
weeks after this Mr. Boardman left there being no 
work for him, on the 4th of December Robinson 
Randel, and four days after, Henry Mclntire were 
received as apprentices. We have now given a brief 
description of the situation of affairs and of the 
principal events which have transpired during a 
period of six years and eight months commencing 
June 1st, 1831 and ending January 1st, 1838. Owing 
to the hurried manner in which it was drawn up 
there will undoubtedly be found many errors in it 
but we shall have the satisfaction of knowing that 
we have used our best endeavors to make it as correct 
as circumstances would permit. 

[the end] 

Edward T. Day 
Apprentice Papers 

Edward T. Day 

Edward T. Day 
Apprentice Papers 

THIS INDENTURE, made this 23d day 
of February A. D. 1832 by and between 
Silas Andrus of Hartford of the one party, 
and Edward Day of Hartford of the other 

THAT the said Edward Day in consideration of 
the covenants and agreements hereinafter ex- 
pressed, doth by these presents, as Guardian of 
Edward T. Day a minor, under the age of twenty- 
one years, with his free and voluntary consent, put 
and bind the said E. T. Day an apprentice to the 
said Silas Andrus to learn the art, trade or mystery 
of Book Binding and with him the said Silas Andrus 
of Hartford after the manner of an apprentice, to 
serve from and after the date of these presents, until 
he shall arrive at the age of twenty-one years, fully 
to be completed and ended, which will be on the 


13th day of May A. D. 1838; during which term, 
the said apprentice his said master shall faithfully 
serve, his secrets keep, and his lawful commands 
every where gladly obey. He shall do no damage to 
his said master, nor see it be done by others; but 
shall forthwith, if in his power, give notice thereof 
to his said master. He shall not waste the goods of 
his said master, nor lend, nor sell them unlaw- 
fully to any. He shall not commit fornication, 
nor contract matrimony during the said term. He 
shall not play at cards, dice, tables or any other 
unlawful game, whereby his said master may have 
any loss. With his own goods or goods of others, 
during said term, without the license of his said mas- 
ter, he shall neither buy nor sell. He shall not haunt 
taverns or play-houses, nor absent himself from his 
said master's service, day or night unlawfully; but 
in all things, as a faithful apprentice, he shall behave 
himself towards his said master and all his, during 
said term. 

And the said Silas Andrus in consideration of the 
premises and of the agreements and undertakings 
above expressed, doth by these presents, covenant 
and agree, that he will by the best means that he 
can, teach and instruct his said apprentice, or cause 


him to be taught or instructed so far as he shall be 
capable of learning, the said art, trade or mystery of 
Book Binding finding unto the said apprentice, 
meat, drink, lodging, and all necessaries suitable for 
such an apprentice, during said term. Except cloth- 
ing for which I am to pay him Twenty Dollars per 

And for the true performance of all and every 
the said covenants and agreements, each of the 
said parties bind themselves unto the other, firmly 
by these presents. 

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the parties above 
named, to these indentures have interchangeably set 
their hands and seals, this 23d day of February 
A. D. 1832. 


(Signed) R.WHITE 



Arba Lankton's 

In the early part of the history mention is 
made of Arba Lankton and he appears as one 
of the witnesses to the Day apprentice papers. 
For many years he was well known to Hart- 
ford citizens for his temperance activities. 

While this boo\ was in preparation, the 
following appeal by him has been found. 
It is included because of the light it throws 
on the personality of one of the individuals 


Arba Lankton issues the following appeal for his 
Total Abstinence Society: 

"We need money for the expenses of our temper- 
ance and anti-tobacco work, for the rent of our 
tabernacle, new hymn books, oil, subscription for 
papers, and tracts for distribution this year, and 
our own personal expenses. There are probably a 
thousand willingly-disposed people who have never 
given a dollar to Arba Lankton to help him in his 
temperance work. Why? Is it for the want of a 
personal appeal? Let me hereby earnestly ask every 
one to give or send contributions of money, one, 
five, or twenty-five dollars, if possible, before the 
first of next month. Receipts of money will be 
properly acknowledged, if sent to Arba Lankton, 
No. 2 Marsh Court, Hartford." 

University of 


1 1 mi urn 

391 53029434331